Saturday, January 22, 2011

Religious extremism in Australia

It exists. It is microscopic, almost without open political representation, and it is loathed. But it exists.

Danny Nalliah is an Australian Christian evangelical pastor, president of Catch the Fire Ministries, and a former candidate for the Family First Party.
He posted the following on the Catch the Fire Ministries website last Thursday, to enlarge on his idea that the floods in Queensland are God's punishment:

" As I was recently getting my hair cut, my barber said to me, “Danny, I cannot understand as to why a loving God is punishing people.” My barber is a Christian, but does not go to church. In fact I led him to the Lord a few months ago.
I promptly responded, “If my daughter or son tell me that they are leaving home because they don’t like all the rules and regulations, but I tell them that the rules and regulations are because we love them and want to protect them from getting into trouble. But if they still choose to go and I hear that they got into some trouble, would it be fair for them to blame me??” "


I see... you would drown your own children and destroy the lives of thousands for not following your weirdo ideas. Thanks, Danny, for clarifying that, you pathetic jerk.

By the way, a number of comments were deleted on his blog, and there was an interesting one allowed to stand: one praising Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church.

If you're an Australian reading this... the Westboro Baptist Church are the people who picket funerals in America, taunting the grieving families with slogans like "God hates fags", and they assert that Nazi Germany was run by Jewish homosexuals.

That is the level of astoundingly stupid that Danny thinks is quite all right, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment