Saturday, July 31, 2010

Howard Fogg

My father was a railway enthusiast. Or "railroad" in American English.
He was British-born, but was especially interested in the US railroads of around 1950 - most of all the Denver and Rio Grande Western. He was a prodigious collector of brass model locomotives.

A favourite railroad artist of his was Howard Fogg, who was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1917, later settling in Boulder, Colorado where he lived until he passed on in 1996. I don't know any more about Mr Fogg than that.

The era of steam has a romance all of it's own, and Fogg's paintings are utterly exquisite. I've put just a few here, but if you'd like to spend an evening in the enchantment of rail in days gone by.... put "Howard Fogg" into your search engine and you will find all you need.

Enjoy.







7 comments:

  1. I'm a "railway" nut. These are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are, aren't they?
    I was thinking of writing a couple of posts that are related to rail infrastructure around the world and their related issues, but those are big subjects and I don't have a lot of time.
    Found myself bleary-eyed and tired and looking at these... and wanted to share them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible Magpie, just incredible.

    I lived in Durango, Colorado for three wonderful years and rode the Durango-Sliverton Narrow guage RR severla times and used to love watching them make their way through town when I wasn't riding them. My daughter and I would often ride our bicycles to a place along the Animas River where they were less than 20 feet from the river and 5 feet from where we were standng. Awesome.

    The scenery was breathtaking and creates a lifetime of memories.

    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS301&q=durango+silverton+railroad+pictures&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=r9BaTIrOGcP-8AbOs7iEAw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQsAQwAA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that link, Bob.
    Looks just like my dad's model trains. He always wanted to go there, and those pics look just like his model railroad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just thought I'd say hello. I know Howard would be his typical modest self if he could see how interest in his artwork continues, and hopefully will live on for many decades to come. Best regards. Janet Fogg (his daughter-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for leaving a comment Janet.
    I'm sure enthusiasm for Howard's artwork will indeed endure, for as long as people love the romance of steam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh... and I'll look for 'Soliloquy' ;)

    ReplyDelete